22 March 2012

About time too!

Well, I've finally got around to starting a blog! It's been something I've been talking about for a very long time.

I'm a business analyst based in Brighton, UK. New to the role in 2006 on what was at the time, the largest IT re-engineering programme in Europe, my career in waterfall projects was going well. I gathered requirements, wrote functional documentation and handed it over to the developers to build. Inevitably changes came and they caused delays but that was just how it was, they had to be managed and the documentation would be revised.

In early 2011 I was assigned to a project that would be run in an 'Agile' way. I'd heard of this but didn't know what it meant. With the rest of my team we went through the curves (learning and change) and at times it seemed that everything I'd learned had been turned upside down. Now I wonder why everyone isn't doing it and always have, it all seems so obvious!

In the time since I've tried things and failed. I've been on courses; read books, blogs and articles; attended seminars and talks; I've also presented my experiences at summits and conferences. I then tried more things and failed again.

To me, Agile is simple. I've seen many people over-complicate it, confusing themselves and those around them. In this blog I hope to show why that isn't necessary.

Happy reading!